The Importance of regular Check Up and Cleans at the Dentist
When it comes to your teeth, regular check-up and cleans are much more important than you may believe. We recommend visiting our dental clinic every 6 months to make sure your teeth are healthy and clean. Regular check-ups at the dentist help prevent and minimise the risk of more serious dental issues like decay, tartar build-up, advanced gum disease, oral cancer, and important orthodontic treatment that could become a bigger issue if left unidentified.
Catching any potential issues as early as possible is a great way for you to avoid going through lengthy and costly dental procedures down the track.
What To Expect in a Dental Check-Up Appointment
- Your dentist will screen your mouth for lumps, ulcers, discoloured tissue spots and any signs of oral cancers
- The dentist will also assess the gum condition and would be looking for signs of gum diseases, like bleeding, shrinking gums or deep pocketing around the teeth (the spaces between the teeth and gums). It’s worth mentioning that, the gum is the foundation for your teeth and if the foundation is poor, it’s very critical to manage it and get it back in shape to help you keep your teeth for as long as possible.
- Checking the teeth under magnification and look for signs of decay, erosion, abrasion, leaking filling margins, cracks, etc.
- Dental X-ray may be required. An X-ray can give the dentist a good view of any decay between teeth as well as identifying any impacted teeth, abscesses, or cysts on the roots of your teeth
- Any diagnosis may potentially be compromised or limited without the diagnostic information that may be gained from appropriate radiographs,(eg interproximal caries, evidence of bone loss, etc).
- We understand that some of our valuable patients may be concerned about the radiation coming with the x-rays, and that’s why we, at Gardens Dental, use digital x-rays with minimal radiation. The amount of radiation from our machine is equivalent to less than the daily background radiation and equivalent to less than the radiation that anyone would be exposed to when travelling in a flight less than 7 hours- Source (www.aci.health.nsw.gov.au)
- Your dentist will take several photos for your teeth and mouth using a high-resolution intra-oral camera to help you see and understand what’s going on in your mouth.
- After the clinical and X-RAY examination, the dentist will spend the time to explain what’s happening in your mouth. He would make sure that you understand the problems in your mouth –if any- and how to tackle them with different treatment options.
Your dentist will then clean all the build up on your teeth and polish them.
At the end of your appointment, your dentist will apply fluoride on the teeth to strengthen their surfaces and make them more resistant to decay
After your dental check-up appointment, you will feel amazing, clean silky smooth teeth leaving you with a fresh brand new smile.
Why You Should Make Your Appointment
You should make an appointment for a dental check-up & clean to get rid of any plaque and tartar whilst also making sure that your teeth are healthy.
If the dentist detects any decay on some of your teeth, the dentist can handle the situation by removing the decay and covering any holes with fillings.
It is better to have decaying teeth treated in the beginning than to allow the decay to get worse.
In this case, you could end up needing a root canal or a tooth extraction which becomes very costly.
Dental cleanings and checkups are ideal because they keep your teeth in the best condition while preventing some serious dental problems from occurring.
Keep your teeth healthy and clean by brushing, using floss, rinsing with mouthwash, and scheduling routine appointments with the dentist to have your teeth cleaned and examined.
We recommend patients make regular visits to the dentist at least every 6 months for a thorough scale and clean, this will ensure any minor issues don’t turn into costly, painful issues which then impact your appearance with stained yellowing teeth,
If you’re looking for a professional and experienced Dentist to make your teeth look brand new, please contact Gardens Dental today on (03) 9449 2626 or submit an enquiry via our website.